Google

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My Evening Life as an Umpire. Part 1

I umpire baseball and softball for boys and girls ages 5 -12. I really enjoy being an umpire. I like what I do and I like interacting with the kids. What I don't like are coaches and parents that don't know the rules for their respective age group or the rules of baseball period. How can a person be the coach of a team and not know the rules. My job is to enforce the rules. Not teach the rules. I don't mind teaching the rules if the coaches will listen. I had a coach yesterday take a little girl out of the game because she was hurt. This coaches pitcher was about to pitch the ball while the girl was still off the field in the dugout. The rule states that if play continues while an injured player is off the field that player must remain out for the rest of the game. I'm thinking about reminding the coach of the situation when the other umpire says I ought to go ahead and remind him. I call time before the pitch and reminded the coach that if play continues that his player would be out for the rest of the game. He asks if he could have time and I said sure. When his player came back out on the field he said the me and the other umpire didn't have to be so ruthless(I've been called worse!). We said that we were following the rules and that's why I came to remind him. Its the coaches responsibility to call time for his player. I said that I came to remind him because his player would have been out for the rest of the game. The coach said that we didn't have to do what we were going to do because they were 9 & 10 year old girls. I told the coach again that I came to him to remind him of what would happen and gave him the opportunity to call time. He still felt that we were wrong for following the rules. I gave the coach time to get his player back on the field and I'm the bad guy. I didn't have to do it as the rule doesn't say that I have to remind a coach due to the fact that he/she should know. Know the rules coaches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home